All Power To The Positive! Vol. #2, Episode #71.
"Is it a sin not to vote? Or perhaps a virtue?
The question may seem surprising, especially in a nail-biter of an election in which every vote will count and both sides argue that the future of the nation is at stake.
But in columns and blog posts in recent months, a number of mainstream Christians on both sides of the aisle -- particularly evangelicals and Catholics -- have been advocating and agonizing over the merits of boycotting the ballot box on Nov. 6.
Many are disappointed with their usual candidate but can't bring themselves to vote for the opposition, while others are just fed up with the entire system and feel they have no choice but to abstain.
"Although political disengagement may not be a 'moral option,' I have decided I won't vote next month," Jen Pollack Michel wrote Monday (Oct. 22) in a blog post at Christianity Today, the leading evangelical magazine.
Politically speaking, Michel said she had always been a classic evangelical: white, middle class, reliably Republican. But she traced her growing disillusionment with the GOP to a range of issues, especially the party's health care policies. And yet she said she can't pull the lever for President Barack Obama, either.
Other evangelicals say they will also opt out, though they have cited varying religious justifications.
Dwight McKissic Sr., a prominent black Southern Baptist who leads the Cornerstone Baptist Church in Arlington, Texas, shocked many followers by declaring that he couldn't vote for Obama because of the president's stance on gay marriage and abortion. But he said he also couldn't vote for Gov. Mitt Romney because of what he contends are "racist teachings" in Mormon scriptures.
"When faced with the choice of two evils, my philosophy is to choose neither," McKissic wrote in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in September. McKissic said he is considering a write-in vote for Jesus Christ instead."
- Some Christians Are Boycotting, Voting For Neither Obama Nor Romney This Election; Huffington Post.
- "Whip Appeal" - Gucci Mane, ft. V-Nasty
- "Soul" - Asheru & Blue Black
- "You Already Know" - Erk Tha Jerk, ft. Kafani
- "Connect For" - Common Market
- "God Save The Queen" - Sex Pistols
- "Leaning Growing Changing" - dead prez
- "Sleep" - Nneka, ft. Ms. Dynamite
- "Time To Go" - Wax Tailor, ft. Aloe Blacc
- "Perfect Peace" - Sirens Echo
- "Who Discovered America?" - Ozomatli
- Police Terror in the South
- Blast From The Past: Occupy Oakland vs. Police
- Farrakhan...God Dammified
- I-502: Pot Legalization That Punishes Users